Listening to your Body: A Play in Two Acts
Remember yesterday, when I said that everything felt fine? That wasn't entirely accurate, or at least didn't stay that way. I went home from work with a bit of a headache and just felt really tired, so I ditched my planned workout. I was mostly caught on sleep and had gotten a fair bit of sleep, so it was all rather mysterious. I had a few possibilities for why it was happening:
Upon checking the label for my electrolyte tablets, I discovered that the sodium content was lower than I'd thought... probably low enough that the three I'd taken during over 4 hours of running were probably not enough. After taking a few more, I soon felt much better.
The lesson? Listen to your body and educate yourself on the science behind how it works, but realize that you may need to actually experience something like electrolyte deficiency before you can learn to prevent it.
Remember yesterday, when I said that everything felt fine? That wasn't entirely accurate, or at least didn't stay that way. I went home from work with a bit of a headache and just felt really tired, so I ditched my planned workout. I was mostly caught on sleep and had gotten a fair bit of sleep, so it was all rather mysterious. I had a few possibilities for why it was happening:
- Insufficient calorie intake / hypoglycemia
- Overtraining /endocrine system fatigue
- Dehydration
- Lack of sleep
- Caffeine withdrawal
- Electrolyte deficiency
- Recurrence of last week's cold
Upon checking the label for my electrolyte tablets, I discovered that the sodium content was lower than I'd thought... probably low enough that the three I'd taken during over 4 hours of running were probably not enough. After taking a few more, I soon felt much better.
The lesson? Listen to your body and educate yourself on the science behind how it works, but realize that you may need to actually experience something like electrolyte deficiency before you can learn to prevent it.
No comments:
Post a Comment